Saturday, March 21, 2015

O'Gara's Irish Run 8k - March 21, 2015



Today’s race, race number two of the season was an 8k (5 mile distance) in St Paul.  Just my second 8k race ever.  But here’s the embarrassing part.  I intended to register for the Irish Run St Paul, which is the new name for one of the oldest and most competitive 8k races in the state with 800 top notch runners.  It’s also the same 8k I ran 5 years ago.  It was formerly called the Human Race before the name change.  Anyway, several months ago I found the web site for the (O’Gara’s) Irish Run 8k in St Paul and registered.  I didn’t know until I showed up for the race, that there are two Irish Run 8k’s in St Paul the same weekend, taking place just a few blocks apart.  One on Saturday (the race I signed up for) and one on Sunday (the one I wanted to sign up for).  So you guessed it.  I signed up for the wrong race.  But because of the similarities (name, location, date) I understand how I got messed up.  But it was a surprise on Saturday morning when the number of participants in the race was about 200 vs. the 800 I was expecting.  The light didn’t go on that there were two races with the same name, same weekend until I got home and discovered my error.

It was a brisk, clear 28 degrees, with a 10mph north wind on race morning.  The race was an east to west, out and back on Selby Avenue in St Paul.  Standing at the starting line, I could see a large (very large) overpass about 200 yards after the start of the race.  All I could think was how tough it will be to climb that overpass with 200 yards to go in the race when fatigue has taken over.  It was kind of an ominous start to the race.  I tried to block it out of my mind, but knew it would be there to greet me on the rebound.  The other 8k race which I intended to run is very flat and fast.  I felt like the big hill overpass was my punishment for the registration mistake I made.  Further punishment, because my goal today was to run a national class age group time for this distance.  A flat course would be much better suited for a fast time, but dealing with a large overpass twice in the same race would put a bit of a dent in my plans.  According to the USA Track and Field website, I would need to run 32:22 or faster to accomplish my goal of a national class time.



As the race began, I crossed over the hill less than a quarter mile into the race.  Not much of an issue this early in the race when fresh.  I clocked a 6:29 first mile, which is about where I wanted to be.  But had aspirations of running under 32 minutes which meant I would need to improve my pace about 5-10 seconds per mile.  In these shorter, faster races, there is little time to evaluate how you are feeling during the race.  You just need to put the pedal to the metal and hope for the best.  However easier said than done.  I’ve always loved Vince Lombardi’s legendary quote “fatigue makes cowards of us all”.  It’s a quote I use to motivate myself to push through pain and try to avoid the “cowards” way out and slow down when fatigue knocks at the door.  Many times it works out and other times it doesn’t.  Mental toughness is such a big factor in a fatigue based sport like road racing.  I sensed in mile two that I was having difficulty pushing my pace to the 6:20 range and in fact I was.  I ran a 6:35 second mile.  Now I knew it was going to be a tough race for me today with regard to my time goal.  With just 200 runners, traffic thinned out quickly, making it more challenging to push the pace, as gaps form ahead and behind you.  I remember my first 8k 5 years ago (the race I intended to run this weekend) was constant competition for position from start to finish because of the larger field of runners.  It’s also easier to push yourself when being challenged continuously by other runners.
 
As I made the turn at the 2.5 mile mark and began retracing my steps back to the start/finish line, all I could think of was the hill at the end, knowing it would eventually pop into view during last half mile.  My pace improved a bit in miles three (6:28) and four (6:29), but I just didn’t have the mental toughness I needed to run the time I thought I could run today.  As I worked my way through the final mile, the dreaded hill was starring me in the face for about 10 blocks before I got there.  I pushed hard up the hill with weary legs, hoping I would still have my legs underneath me to get down the backside of the hill without falling flat on my face.  Coming down the hill was a bit scary, but I extended my stride as far as possible to maintain my momentum and balance to the finish line.


I finished with a time of 32:22, good for 30th place among 196 runners and 2nd in my age group of 14 runners.  Surprisingly, my time was the exact minimum qualifying time for a national class time to the very second.  I really expected to run faster today, so not as thrilled by the fact I just barely met the national qualifying time by the width of a hair.  I’ve decided to drop my next race in two weeks which was not high on my list of races to run this year anyway.  It was a 15 miler and this early in the spring I don’t feel prepared to go hard for that distance yet.  Also, I have a 10k and a 5k coming up right after that, so going to stick to the shorter distance races while building my mileage for longer races later this season.  My next race will be the Get in Gear 10k on April 25th.

Race Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment