Saturday, January 28, 2012

Frosty 5k - January 28, 2012

In my last post I stated that winter racing just isn't my thing and that my next race won't be until March. Well, the first part of that statement remains true, however our relatively warm winter led me to brave another race in late January.  I love to search the web for new races and stumbled across a new 5k event at the University of Minnesota, the campus of my old alma mater.  The course consisted of two loops that touched both the east and west banks of the campus.  I haven't been on the old university grounds for years which is why the race intrigued me.  So I decided to go back in time to revisit my old college days.  


It was a sunny 20 degrees on race morning with a stiff west wind to greet those of us who turned out for the race.  There were also a number of slick icy spots along the east campus side of the course requiring some caution early in the race while running in heavier traffic.  The race began directly in front of Coffman Memorial Union which served as the finish line as well.         















The first counter clockwise loop around the east bank went by quickly as I made my way past old Northrop Auditorium and then headed south toward Washington Avenue for the first of four Mississippi River crossings.  It brought back memories of many cold walks across the bridge as a student in the late 70's.  The brisk west wind reminded me that some things never change.  














As we completed our first loop on the west bank side, I was surprised to see that they directed us back north before looping around the south end of the Rarig Center as the course map showed.  I didn't think too much of it at the time, but it became a factor by the end of the race.  With the wind now at my back, I headed east for my second trip across the river and back onto the east bank to begin the second and final lap of the race.                                         

The second loop of the race was winding down after visiting the west bank for a second time.  As I crossed the river for the 4th and final time toward the east bank, my Garmin confirmed my suspicions that the course distance may be a bit short based on the curious course adjustment on the west bank side.  I soon made my way back to Coffman Union toward the finish.  The race clock confirmed my suspicions with a reading of 19:35 when I crossed the finish line.  A time that would represent my fastest 5k race by 3 seconds.  I raced hard as always today, but I knew this wasn't my fasted 5k race considering the time of year and conditions.  My Garmin said the race distance was 2.95 miles as the distance - or 4.75k.  Projecting my pace (6:38/mile) to a full 5k distance, my time would have been 20:37 which seems more reasonable with what I expected to run on a chilly January morning.  Overall I finished 8th among 112 finishers and 1st among 9 in my age group (40+). 

I enjoyed my brief return visit to the U of M.  It was a fun race.  Maybe by next year they will fix the course distance and make it a true 5k event.

Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment