Monday, January 11, 2010

Meet of Miles - January 11, 2010

I decided to try something new this year.  I am a two year member of the Minnesota Distance Running Association.  The MDRA sponsors a year long event called the 'MDRA Grand Prix'.  It consists of 13 races scattered throughout the year (January-November).  The races include a one mile indoor track race, 3 - 5k races (including a cross country run on the U of M golf course), 1 - 8k race, 3 - 10k races, 2 - half marathons, 1 - 25k race, and 2 - marathons (Grandma's and Twin Cities).  Participants earn points in each race based on where you place among all Grand Prix entrants.  Your top 10 scores throughout the year determine your final score and place among all participants of all ages, however they break the results down into 5 year age group categories.  You can run as many of the 13 races you want but my goal is to run 10 of the 13 races to try to maximize my score/points.  I know there are several races I can't participate in because of other conflicts but if all goes as planned I can run 10 of them.

The first race Was the Meet of Miles held at the University of Minnesota Fieldhouse 200 meter track.  Participants sign up for a one mile heat based on your expected finishing time.  Having run a 5:38 mile last month I signed up for the 5:30-5:45 heat which seemed to make the most sense.  The meet included a strong group of runners of all ages including 20 teens who all ran sub 5 minute miles.  I finished 3rd in my heat of 12 runners with a finishing time of 5:31.6 (7 seconds better than last month at Bethel).  This earned me 745 Grand Prix points, good for 14th place overall after one race.



My next race which is also a Grand Prix event is the Frigid 5k on February 7th, at the fair grounds in St Paul.  Last year I ran the Frigid 10k so I'm familiar with the course which consists of two lap circuit around the fair grounds.

http://www.raceberryjam.com/indexid.html

No comments:

Post a Comment